DUTCH HORMONE TESTING FOR MEN
THE HORMONE BALANCE IS BEAUTIFUL!
Our bodies are constantly engaged in a drive for homeostasis – a state of equilibrium – where our hormones are optimally balanced. If we successfully achieve & retain that balance, we can expect to experience optimized health, wellbeing & happiness. But if our hormones are thrown out of equilibrium…then what? We can expect, unfortunately, to experience a wide range of side effects, from short-term insomnia to anxiety, weight gain, debilitating fatigue, sexual dysfunction, and hair loss (to name but a few).
Alternatively, what might life look and feel like with an optimized hormonal balance? Well…imagine waking up after a great nights’ sleep, with a sharp, focused mind & an optimistic mindset. You have the energy to work out, you enjoy a great sex life with your partner, your skin, hair, nails & physique look and feel aesthetically great. Expect to shrug off challenges, face the world, feel young and energetic again & end each day with energy to spare.
Sounds great, right?
Unfortunately, many factors can disrupt our delicate hormonal balance, pushing it off-kilter and sending us into a hormonal tailspin where we can immediately feel tired, deflated, and experience a whole host of other unpleasant symptoms. Worse, age-related hormonal shifts can lead to a drop in specific hormones, too, and it can be tough for us to pinpoint the exact cause of this hormonal disruption.
That’s where an innovative, progressive hormonal test is known as the DUTCH Test® comes in. Here at the Doctors Studio, we use the DUTCH Test® to diagnose hormonal imbalances & dysfunction, then rapidly follow that diagnostic testing with hormonal replacement & lifestyle management therapies & interventions designed to restore your body, once again, to an optimized hormonal state, immediately setting you back on the path to health & happiness.
Why Do Men Need the DUTCH Test®?
- Whilst most of us have heard of menopause – a major hormonal shift affecting women (usually around middle-age), far fewer people are aware that men experience andropause – a gradual loss of hormones produced in the gonads and adrenal glands. Andropause, colloquially known as the ‘male menopause, can cause significant declines in the levels of testosterone, DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone, a steroid precursor), and other anabolic (growth-related) hormones in the body. These hormonal declines of anabolic hormones take place alongside increases in estrogen, the result of which often leads men to experience seriously impacted physical, emotional & aesthetic outcomes. Common andropause-related symptoms, for example, include fat gain and muscle loss, and impaired libido, anxiety & depression, impaired fertility, dampened emotional mood, mood swings, hair loss, poor quality sleep, and fatigue. Andropause also increases the risk of prostate cancer.
- These symptoms might be accelerated by obesity, ill health, use of certain medications, the presence of disease & dysfunction, drug & steroid use, but can also be decelerated by the adoption of a healthy lifestyle & health-related habits (e.g., embarking on a great exercise program that targets endurance & strength, lowering saturated fat from the diet, prioritizing sleep, using multivitamins & multimineral supplements).
- All men suffer from a decline in anabolic hormones as a result of age, but that doesn’t mean that hormonal decline and any negative side effects that accompany it should be viewed as unavoidable, or something to be tolerated. The Doctors Studio is extremely well-versed & knowledgeable in creating lifestyle & nutrition programs and hormonal therapies that can be tailored to the exact needs of any individual to restore them to a youthful, enjoyable hormonal profile. Engaging with The DUTCH Test® allows us to gain a comprehensive insight into how we can help you, & in how we can empower you to help yourself.
So what is the DUTCH Test®, Exactly?
The Dutch Complete Hormone Profile for Men provides a comprehensive assessment of your sex and adrenal hormones and their metabolites, identifying root causes of hormonal imbalance, including markers that provide information about adrenal (stress) hormones and steroid hormones (DHEA, estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, cortisol).
The test covers 35 different hormones:
- Sex hormones (estrogen, testosterone, progesterone)
- Daily free cortisol (a stress hormone)
- Oxidative stress marker (provides data on free radicals in the body)
- Melatonin (a major modulator of circadian rhythms associated with high-quality sleep & alertness
- Organic acids (including markers for B12, Vitamin B6, Glutathione, Dopamine, Adrenaline, & Serotonin, which together exert a major effect on physiological processes, energy levels, and our emotional state)
The acronym DUTCH stands for ‘Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones. It is an easy, painless & non-invasive test involving the collection of urine samples over a 24-hour period, which is then analyzed to provide a comprehensive evaluation of your hormonal health.
What Can I Expect from the DUTCH Test®?
Male testosterone levels are highest at puberty, after which they begin to slowly decline. Testosterone and other androgenic hormones play a huge role in your emotional health – how confident, focused & optimistic you feel – in your energy levels, in your physical stature (powering muscle growth, fat loss & metabolism), in your physical appearance (skin quality, thickness of hair) and in your virility (optimizing fertility, libido, sexual performance & satisfaction), so when these levels drop, it is natural to experience some unwanted side-effects. By the time you hit your 30’s, you can generally expect a testosterone decline of 1-2% annually, which can be accelerated majorly by poor lifestyle & diet choices (including work or personal stress).
You might also experience aromatization – the process of testosterone being converted to estrogen – which can result in fatigue, depression, a dampened libido, erectile issues, muscle loss, fat gain, and even the development of breast tissue (gynecomastia). Aromatization can be particularly prevalent in overweight males, which is why hormonal interventions are so effective when implemented alongside positive lifestyle changes that focus on the reduction of body fat.
The DUTCH Test® can alert us to these hormonal age-related shifts, and whether age-related hormonal changes in testosterone and other androgenic hormones might be a cause of male pattern baldness, mood swings, acne, and prostate issues. The DUTCH Test® also allows us to measure your hormonal levels against benchmarks for optimal and normal levels (providing an ‘age range’ and ‘optimal range’), as mediated by age, and work out whether an age-related ‘normal’ level might still not be adequate for you. What does this mean? Well, a regular GP might screen your testosterone levels, but choose not to refer you for hormone replacement therapy, as your levels are technically still within the ‘average’ range. Yet you are experiencing a range of low testosterone symptoms (often due to genetics, weight, lifestyle, or other factors).
A DUTCH Test® will alert us to this, and to the delicate dance taking place between numerous different hormones that powerfully mediates and influences a whole host of physiological, aesthetic & emotional effects, allowing us to efficiently tailor a hormonal therapy treatment for you that will eradicate the issues that you are facing.
What Are the Next Steps?
Once you have received your DUTCH Test® results, the Doctors Studio will talk you through your results, discussing & highlighting any hormonal imbalances to you, designing a treatment plan tailored uniquely to your needs, and prescribing supplements (if required) to support optimized hormonal health. This tailored plan might include hormonal replacement therapy, or lifestyle recommendations, or a combination of the two. Ultimately, the combination of the scientifically innovative DUTCH Test®, and our extensive knowledge & experience in clinically tested hormonal therapies, offers you the most positive & powerful way forward in managing your hormonal health & restoring you to your best possible self.
Is The DUTCH Test® scientifically valid?
Yes. The DUTCH Test® is the most advanced hormone test available. Created by Precision Analytical, a CLIA- certified laboratory, patients using the DUTCH Test® can gain the peace of mind that extensive scientific testing & innovation brings, offering a non-invasive, rapid, pain-free, accurate & informative test for anyone considering bioidentical hormone therapy, or who suspects that they might have a hormone problem.
Don’t Know Where to Start?
The Studio Team is here to serve you.