“Not only are you what you EAT, but you are what you…ATE! Get evaluated to see what you are missing.”
~ Dr. Lisbeth Roy
In a perfect world, we can achieve a perfect nutritional balance from our foods, providing each micronutrient, macronutrient, mineral & vitamin we need in an elegantly optimized balance.
Unfortunately, that opportunity ended with our cave-dwelling ancestors. In the modern era, characterized as it is with processed food, high sugar intake, pollution, frequent caffeine & alcohol consumption, dependence on arable farming, inorganic foodstuff, genetically modified food, a general lack of exercise & sub-quality water & soil, we have very little hope of achieving an optimized nutritional balance through the food that we choose to eat. This is a problem – poor nutrition can harm us in a range of debilitating ways. The great news, however, is that the Doctors Studio can help you to optimize your nutritional intake, restoring the balance you need to achieve amazing emotional, physical, mental & neurological health. But before we talk you through testing options, why, exactly, is great nutrition so important?
Great Nutrition = Great Health
As we age, the onset of food intolerances, illnesses, physiological dysfunction & age-related adaptations to our digestive system often leads to malabsorption & other digestive issues. A great micronutrient balance isn’t a ‘nice to have – it’s essential. Consider, for example, that a simple B12 deficiency can cause symptoms as extreme as severe depression, paranoia, memory loss, incontinence, & a loss of taste & or smell, alongside serious fatigue, numbness, joint pain, & cardiovascular issues. If you are an athlete, pregnant, breastfeeding, taking medication, suffering from an existing condition, vegetarian, or vegan, your micronutrient balance might require specific attention & adaptation. Our nutrient needs tend to be dynamic, reactive to our situations, and reflective of our needs so we need to continually ensure that we are taking in what we need.
To compound that problem, some vitamins, like Vitamin D, are not easily absorbed by the body (in fact, an estimated 74% of older Americans are deficient in Vitamin D!), while generic deficiencies are usually found across the population in levels of Omega-3 fatty acids (vital for brain function, cellular function & emotional health). Magnesium is a critical factor for around 300 of the body’s metabolic processes (including great sleep!) yet most of us simply do not intake enough. An estimated 25% of the entire global population has an iron deficiency (rising to 47% in young children!) whilst up to 90% of vegetarians and vegans may be deficient in B12.
The stats tell us a clear story; it is likely that you and the members of your family already have some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency, which might be impacting your health. This needs to be taken seriously – even if you feel generally okay (and why settle for just ‘okay’, anyway? ), you are running the risk of an increased vulnerability to inflammation, poorer immunity, and a whole host of degenerative diseases, illnesses & dysfunctions. You won’t feel as great as you could, your skin, hair & nails won’t shine, you won’t be super-charged with energy, the edge will have gone from your mental sharpness, you’ll be more likely to suffer sub-par sleep & anxiety, you might find your physique is not where you want it to be in terms of aesthetics, you might suffer constant indigestion, flatulence or constipation, & you might feel less able to sustain a positive emotional mood.
Nutrition Testing at the Doctors Studio
Fortunately, we are ready to help you! Our nutrition evaluation measures and highlights specific deficiencies in a range of macronutrients – proteins, fats & carbohydrates – alongside a complete profile of your micronutrient (mineral, vitamin & phytonutrient) levels. Sustaining optimal levels of each ensures that all of your physiological, cellular, and neurological functions are optimized and protected, including energy production & metabolism, immunological function, blood clotting, bone growth, fluid balance & digestive functioning.
Let’s take a look at micronutrients first – that vital blend of vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients that you need to stave off illness, function on a day-to-day level, thrive & enjoy life.
The Power of Vitamins
Vitamins are essential micronutrients that pack a huge punch in terms of their nutritional impact, offering transformative, life-changing qualities, particularly for those of us who might suffer from deficiencies.
Some vitamins are fat-soluble (Vitamins A, D, E, and K) whilst others are water-soluble (Vitamin C, Vitamin B-Complex which constitutes thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenate (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12)). At the Doctors Studio, we understand exactly which of these vitamins should be taken daily (water-soluble vitamins), forming the basis of efficient dietary & supplement-based choices, and which are stored longer-term in the body (fat-soluble).
Water-soluble vitamins required daily by your body are:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine): B1 helps the body convert nutrients into energy.
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): B2 is necessary for energy production, cell function, and fat metabolism.
- Vitamin B3 (niacin): B3 drives the production of energy from food.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): B5 is necessary for fatty acid synthesis.
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): B6 helps your body release sugar from stored carbohydrates for energy and creates red blood cells.
- Vitamin B7 (biotin): B7 plays a vital role in the metabolism of fatty acids, amino acids, and glucose.
- Vitamin B9 (folate): B9 is important for proper cellular division.
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): B12 is necessary for red blood cell formation and proper nervous system and brain function.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid): Vitamin C is also vital, required for the creation of neurotransmitters and for the creation of collagen, the main protein in your skin.
In addition to the water-soluble vitamins listed above, vital fat-soluble vitamins that should be taken alongside or as part of fat-based food sources (e.g., nuts, fish) include:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is necessary for proper vision and organ function.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D promotes proper immunological function and assists in calcium absorption and bone growth.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E assists immune function and acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage.
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and proper bone development.
It is extremely hard to know if your intake of all of these vitamins is sufficient – and this is exactly where we can help you.
Minerals: Essential Power Packs for Life & Longevity
Vitamins are not the only micronutrients essential for good health. Minerals are essential, too. Minerals are inorganic nutrients found in foods, which remain essential for the physiological, neurological, and cellular maintenance, growth & health of our bodies. Without adequate levels, we risk anything from degenerative bone diseases to insomnia, critically low immunity, depression & nerve damage.
Minerals are classified into microminerals (cobalt, copper, fluoride, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium & zinc) and macro minerals (calcium, chloride, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and sulfur).
Let’s take a closer look:
- Calcium: Necessary for the proper structure and function of bones and teeth. Assists in muscle function and blood vessel contraction.
- Phosphorus: An essential part of our bone and cell membrane structure.
- Magnesium: Assists with over 300 enzyme reactions, including the regulation of blood pressure, emotional health & high-quality sleep.
- Sodium: An electrolyte that aids fluid balance and maintains healthy blood pressure.
- Chloride: Often found in combination with sodium. Chloride helps to maintain fluid balance and is used to make digestive fluids.
- Potassium: An electrolyte that maintains fluid status in cells and helps with nerve transmission and muscle function.
- Sulfur: Part of every living tissue and contained in essential amino acids methionine and cysteine.
Been on a diet lately? If you have been, you’re not alone – around 50% of all Americans (60% of whom are female) were on a diet last year actively trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, calorie restriction is often accompanied by unintended mineral and vitamin restriction, which can really impact the quality of life. Here are some of the microminerals that you need to make sure you get enough of:
- Iron: Iron is essential in the provision of oxygen to muscle & tissue and assists in the creation of certain hormones.
- Manganese: Manganese helps our body to metabolize carbohydrates, amino acids, and cholesterol.
- Copper: Copper is vital in the process of connective tissue formation, as well as normal brain and nervous system function.
- Zinc: Zinc is necessary for normal growth, immune function, and wound healing.
- Iodine: Iodine assists in thyroid regulation.
- Fluoride: Fluoride is necessary for the development of bones and teeth.
- Selenium: Selenium plays a vital role in thyroid health, reproduction, and the defense against oxidative damage.
Are your levels adequate? As is the case with vitamin levels, it is almost impossible to know, which is why nutrient tests offer such great value as an investment in our health.
Alongside vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients also form a vital part of our nutritional intake.
Phytonutrients are the natural compounds and components of plants that create color and taste, stimulate enzymes that help the body get rid of toxins, and boost the immune system, promoting healthy hormone levels. Fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, spices, herbs, nuts, seeds, and teas all provide powerful sources of phytonutrients, (often why nutritionists and healthcare providers often suggest a ‘rainbow diet’ – the more colorful and diverse our phytonutrient sources, the more likely we are to obtain the phytonutrient range that we need to be healthy!).
Common signs of malabsorption or insufficient micronutrient intake (vitamins, minerals &/or phytonutrients) can include;
- Scaly patches & dandruff on your scalp (often caused by low blood levels of zinc, niacin (vitamin B3), riboflavin (vitamin B2), and pyridoxine (vitamin B6).
- Hair loss (iron deficiency).
- Brittle nails and hair (biotin/B7 deficiency).
- Skin bumps on the back of your arms (keratosis pilaris, a sign of essential fatty acid or B-vitamin deficiency).
- Restless and cramping legs (folate/magnesium deficiency).
- Frequent infections (general malnutrition).
- Low energy and fatigue (vitamin D, vitamin B-12, iron, magnesium, or potassium deficiency).
- Bone and back pain (vitamin D deficiency).
- Depression and anxiety (potential low levels of omega 3, Vitamin D, magnesium, Vitamin B, folate, amino acids, iron & or zinc).
- Bone loss (lack of calcium).
- Poor wound healing (deficiencies in vitamin D, zinc, vitamin B12).
- Muscle aches and pains (vitamin D deficiency).
- Mouth sores and bleeding gums (vitamin C & K deficiencies).
- Acid reflux (deficiencies in Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron & Magnesium).
- Poor night vision (vitamin A deficiency).
“VITAMINS, MINERALS, AMINO ACIDS, FATS, AND WATER ARE WHAT RUN THE HUMAN MACHINE. A proper assessment will help you to know what you are missing.” ~ Dr. Lisbeth Roy
The foods that we eat, the supplements that we take, the choice that we make between organic or inorganic, processed or pure, and the level of adequate hydration that we maintain all fundamentally and powerfully affect us. At every second of our lives, the quality of every cellular process in our entire body is mediated by what exactly we choose to eat or drink. This is why the sayings ‘you are what you eat – and ‘you are what you ATE’ ring so true! It is also why the Doctors Studio offers a nutritional check as a vital part of our extensive suite of treatments & therapies.
BENEFITS OF A NUTRIENT ANALYSIS:
- We can help you to identify, pinpoint & treat nutrient imbalances, deficiencies, and potential toxicities.
- We can optimize your nutrient levels for optimal metabolic function.
- We can adjust nutritional supplements according to your specific needs, with potentially life-altering outcomes.
Ultimately, getting the right nutrient balance can be literally life-changing, returning you to feeling like YOU again – no more of the mood swings, irritability, bloating, tiredness, anxiety, or just feeling low. Sometimes, something as simple as a supplement can really revolutionize the quality of your life. But it is essential that you know EXACTLY what you are deficient in & by how much, how those nutrients interact with others, and how to upscale your intake safely to safeguard & then optimize health & wellness. And that is exactly what we are here to do – test, treat & optimize…
We look forward to helping you balance your nutritional intake to optimize your emotional, physical, neurological, and cellular health! If you or someone you love could benefit from a clearer view of your vitamin, mineral & macronutrient profile, contact us today at the Doctors Studio – we are waiting to take your call.
Not only are you what you EAT, but you are what you ATE… ate! Get evaluated to see what you are missing.
Don’t Know Where to Start?
The Studio Team is here to serve you.